Monday, August 22, 2011

Fear and Writing

I am in a workshop on Plotting. With each new area we cover, I freeze initially when it comes to completing assignments. Before the assignment, the story is clear in my mind and I know how it should be written. When it’s time to write, my mind goes blank and I can’t think of a single thing to say. I realize now, that it’s fear. Fear that I have no idea how to plot (since I’m a pantser). Fear that I will get it wrong and my story will be rejected. Fear that I am exposing myself as a wannabe and not a writer. Fear that I just don’t know what I’m doing. Roseann Cash said, “The Key to change…is to let go of fear.” That’s it. That’s me. I realize I have to stand up to my fears and reaffirm my convictions. I am learning how to plot. I may be wrong, but it can be corrected. I need to affirm that I am a writer and am following the steps necessary to learn my craft. Now fear, take that! You don’t scare me…much. What fears do you have in your writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews