Friday, June 9, 2017

Counting My Words #MFRWauthor #amwriting


Can you believe we are in week 23 of the MFRW 52 Week Blog Challenge? We're in the middle of 2017. Today's topic is Word Count.

As a writer, I don't write as often as I should and I'm slow. Some days I average about 300 words. Some days I sit in front of my computer and look at a blank word document because the words won't come.  I'll usually give up then and do a little reading, research or play three-dimensional mahjong.

I promised myself I would change that this year after a friend of mine posted her end of year total. She had enough words for four novels or five novellas or ten short stories before editing.  I have another author friend who writes 3k per day, five days per week no matter what. I've tried to find that kind of dedication for myself. I'm still looking.


I wanted my end of year total to be at least 120,000. Not a lot, but I wanted to start small. So I decided to just write and not count. Write without the pressure of making a goal and you know what? It's working. I still don't write every day, but I write a lot when I do. The year-end goal I set for myself may be reached this year. Maybe not. I won't sweat it. I'll just write.

What about you and word count? How do you handle it? Let's talk about it in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews